Cycle routes from Bournemouth vary greatly both in scenery and terrain. Cycle routes from Bournemouth can be kept simple, with easy beach rides in Bournemouth. More demanding rides can take you in a number of different directions:
- Inland into the villages of Dorset
- East towards the New Forest
- West along the Jurassic coast
All of these are easily reachable from Bournemouth – it’s just a matter of where you want to go!
Cycling Routes Bournemouth
Bournemouth Beach Cycle
Cycling along the prom in Bournemouth is the easiest and most family-friendly cycle ride in Bournemouth.The seafront promenade in Bournemouth extends from Shore Road/Sandbanks all the way to Hengistbury Head – a distance of approximately 10 miles.
Bournemouth is about half way along and a 5-mile ride in either direction is perfect for a family cycle. Cafes and ice cream can be found at Sandbanks, Bournemouth, Boscombe and Hengistbury Head. Sam Haddad from The Guardian stayed with us recently and took her family on a bike ride along the promenade – here’s what she had to say about it.
This cycle ride can be extended with a ferry ride from Sandbanks to Studland to face the cycling challenges of the Purbeck. Another ferry at the other end will take you from Hengistbury Head to Mudeford where adventurous cyclists can then easily head into the New Forest.
Cycle Routes in Bournemouth
Cycle Routes in the New Forest
- New Forest Cycle Hire has downloadable cycle maps
- Forest Leisure also offer a comprehensive range of cycle routes and maps for the New Forest.
- Bournemouth to Ashurst – Start in Bournemouth, and ride through Christchurch and the New Forest all the way to Ashurst 2-3 hours depending on fitness and stops.
- Hampshire County Council New Forest Cycle Routes
Cycle Routes in Dorset
There are some fantastic cycle rides in Dorset – both inland and along the coast. Cycle-Route.com lists details of a huge variety of rides.
The Arlington Hotel welcomes cyclists, and we go the extra mile for you.
Call us on 01202 552879 for more information about cycle routes and accommodation for cyclists